Portions of the website are currently unavailable.
Legislature > Legislative History Guide > Legislative History Resources
Minnesota Legislative History - Location of Materials
Minnesota Statutes • Minnesota Session Laws • Journals • Bills
Legislative Committee Minutes • Audio and Video Recordings • Floor Logs
Legislative History Research Services • Additional Research Materials
Minnesota Session Laws
House Files (HF)
Senate Files (SF)
Legislative Committee Minutes
Print minutes are the official record and are generally more complete than the online minutes.
Print minutes are the official record and are generally more complete than the online minutes. Not all Senate committees produce committee minutes.
- 2007-present (selected): 2017-2018 | 2015-2016 | 2013-2014 | 2011-2012 | 2009-2010 | 2007-2008
Note: Select the committee, then go to the "meetings" and select the "upcoming meeting schedules." Select the date of the meeting. If the word "minutes" doesn't appear as a link in the schedule, that committee did not post minutes online.
- 1999-present: Print at LRL
- 1973-1988: Microfilm at LRL
- 1911-1998: Print at MHS Library
- 1883-1910: Print at MHS Library (Judiciary Committee only)
Audio and Video Recordings of Floor Debates and Committee Hearings
NOTE: Through mid-2018, there will be limited access to House and Senate audio tapes from the 1991-2003 legislative sessions. The tapes are being digitized as part of a project to provide permanent online access. Digital files of tapes may be available for a fee during this project. For more information, contact a librarian.
- 2004-present: Complete audio and selected video coverage for committee hearings, complete video coverage for House floor sessions
- 1998-2003: Select video coverage
- 1991-2003 audio: Contact a librarian
- To purchase a copy of a House video please contact House Public Information, 175 State Office Building; (651) 297-1338 - $12.50 per item produced.
Floor logs are helpful if you are listening to floor debate as part of your legislative history work because they indicate the order of bills and general length of time for discussion.
Legislative History Research Services
- Minnesota Historical Society (MHS) Library: 345 W. Kellogg Blvd.; St. Paul, MN 55102; Reference Desk (651) 259-3300. (More in-depth services are available for a fee.)
- Legal Research Center, Inc.: 1100 Flour Exchange Building; 310 Fourth Avenue South; Minneapolis, MN 55415; (612) 332-4950 or (800) 776-9377.
- Legislative Intent Service, Inc.: 712 Main St., Suite 200; Woodland, CA 95695; (800) 666-1917.
- TriDimension Strategies, LLC: Suite 900, 9330 LBJ Freeway; Dallas, TX 75243; (972) 527-3900.
- Note: Other legislative history search firms will be added as we learn of their existence. This information is provided as a public service, and does not imply endorsement by the Minnesota Legislature.
Additional Research Materials
As a part of the legislative history research process, it can sometimes be fruitful to look at secondary sources. Please see the Minnesota Legislative History Research Guide for a list of additional research materials.
Library staff assistance should not be construed as a substitute for professional legal research aid.