Portions of the website are currently unavailable.
Legislature > LRL Home > Agencies > Results
Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Property Tax Working Group
The goals of the working group are:
(1) to investigate ways to simplify the property tax system and make advisory recommendations on ways to make the system more understandable;
(2) to reexamine the property tax calendar to determine what changes could be made to shorten the two-year cycle from assessment through property tax collection; and
(3) to determine the cost versus the benefits of the various property tax components, including property classifications, credits, aids, exclusions, exemptions, and abatements, and to suggest ways to achieve some of the goals in simpler and more cost-efficient ways.
Active dates:2010 - 2013
The Property Tax Working Group was created in 2010 to examine the many facets of Minnesota's property tax system and develop recommendations on how to make the system more simple, understandable, transparent, accountable, and efficient. The Working Group held 20 meetings from October 2010 through November 2012.
The Property Tax Working Group held its final meeting on Nov. 14, 2012 and approved its final report on Nov. 30, 2012. The Group expired as of February 1, 2013.
The Property Tax Working Group was reviewed by the Legislative Commission on Planning and Fiscal Policy (LCPFP) in 2013 as part of their biennial duty required by Minn. Stat. 3.885 Subd. 11. The LCPFP's 2013 Recommendations called for the working group to be repealed and 2014 Minn. Laws Chap. 286 Art. 1 Sec. 5 contained the repeal.
The 13-member working group shall consist of the following members:
(1) two state representatives, both appointed by the chair of the house of representatives Taxes Committee, one from the majority party and one from the largest minority party;
(2) two senators appointed by the Subcommittee on Committees of the Senate Rules and Administration Committee, one from the majority party and one from the largest minority party;
(3) the commissioner of revenue, or designee;
(4) one person appointed by the Association of Minnesota Counties;
(5) one person appointed by the League of Minnesota Cities;
(6) one person appointed by the Minnesota Association of Townships;
(7) one person appointed by the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce;
(8) one person appointed by the Minnesota Association of Assessing Officers;
(9) two homeowners, one who is under 65 years of age, and one who is 65 years of age or older, both appointed by the commissioner of revenue; and
(10) one person jointly appointed by the Minnesota Farm Bureau and the Minnesota Farmers Union.
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.