State High School League
Also known as:
Minnesota State High School League
Function: Supervises and regulates interscholastic athletics, and musical, dramatic, and other contests between pupils of Minnesota high schools.
The Minnesota State High School League was first organized in 1916 as the State High School Athletic Association. Its primary purposes were (1) to promote amateur sports and (2) to establish uniform eligibility rules for interscholastic contests.
In 1929 it broadened its scope by including all interscholastic athletic activities and added speech and debate. At that time the name was changed to the Minnesota State High School League. Music was added in 1965 and Girls Athletics in 1969.
The League has existed as a nonprofit, voluntary association of the public high schools since its inception. In 1960 it was officially incorporated under the laws of the State of Minnesota as a nonprofit corporation.
A high school that is a school under section 120A.22, subdivision 4, may be a member of the league. The league is made up of high schools whose governing boards have delegated their control of extracurricular activities, as described in section 123B.49, subdivision 4, to the league. The delegation is made when the governing board files a certificate of delegation with the commissioner of education.
20 members (16 members selected by member schools; 4 public members); public members appointed by governor; 4-year terms; per diem.
Chairman of the committee that formed the State High School League: Harry C. Bell, 1916-1927; Executive Directors: Otto Smith, 1928-1942; Harold Peterson, 1942-1958; Beverly HIll, 1959-1970; Murrae Freng, 1970-1985; Orv Bies, 1985-1988; David Stead, 1988-present (2016).
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.