Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Minnesota Management and Budget
Active dates:June, 2008 -
The department provides statewide direction to financial and human resource management processes. This direction ensures adherence to standards, continuity, legal compliance, and financial integrity. Core functions support the policy making process and the resource management of state government. Core functions are:
- Managing state financial and human resource processes and systems;
- Providing historical and projected financial and program information;
- Providing financial analysis;
- Administering the state's merit system;
- Providing recruitment, training and other human resource products and services;
- Negotiating and administering labor agreements;
- Developing and administering compensation plans; and
- Developing, implementing and managing insurance benefits for employees, retirees, and their dependents.
Minnesota Management and Budget is the result of a merger and reorganization that went into effect in 2008. The merger combined the former departments of Finance and Employee Relations and the Management Analysis Division from the Department of Administration. MMB became a "department" when the Legislature, as expected, made that determination in the 2009 session.
Commissioner: Tom Hanson (June 2008 - November 2010); Steve Sviggum (December 2010); Jim Schowalter (January 2011 - December 2014); Myron Frans (January 2015 - present).
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.