Municipal Boundary Adjustment Advisory Task Force
Active dates:2006 - 2009
Function: An advisory task force on municipal boundary adjustments is established to study and make recommendations on what, if any, changes
should be made to the law governing municipal boundary adjustments. The task force shall develop recommendations regarding best practices annexation training for city and township officials to better communicate and jointly plan potential annexations.
The task force shall report its interim recommendations to the chairs and members of the house of representatives and senate committees with jurisdiction over municipal boundary adjustments by March 1, 2008, and its final recommendations by January 16, 2009. The task force shall also provide a copy of its recommendations to the Legislative Reference Library.
During the 2007 legislative session, the Municipal Boundary Adjustment Task Force, which was established in 2006, was given new life and an extension until June 30, 2008 (Session Laws 2007 Chapter 90 Sec.4).
In 2008 there was a further extension.
The task force is comprised of the following members:
(1) two members of the senate, one appointed by the majority leader and one appointed by the minority leader;
(2) two members of the house of representatives, one appointed by the speaker of the house and one appointed by the minority leader;
(3) three representatives of city interests, appointed by the League of Minnesota Cities in consultation with the Association of Metropolitan Municipalities, the Coalition of Greater Minnesota Cities, and the Minnesota Association of Small Cities;
(4) three representatives of township interests, appointed by the Minnesota Association of Townships; and
(5) one person appointed jointly by the senate majority leader and the speaker of the house of representatives to serve as chair of the task force, selected based on knowledge and experience in municipal boundary adjustment issues and who could serve without bias towards either side of the issue of annexation.
Bruce Johnson , Chair
Asst Chief Administrative Law Judge, Office of Administrative Hearings
Senator Rick Olseen (DFL) Senate Majority Appointment
District 17 G-24 Capitol Building
Senator Steve Dille (Rep) Senate Minority Appointment
District 18 103 State Office Building
Representative Paul Marquart (DFL) House Majority Appointment
District 9B 597 State Office Building
Representative Doug Magnus (Rep) House Minority Appointment
District 22A 217 State Office Building
Gary Pederson, Elmira Township Supervisor, MAT District 1 Director/2nd Vice President
Kent Sulem, Attorney, Minnesota Association of Townships
Don Sherper, Livonia Township Supervisor, MAT District 7 Director
Gary Neumann, Rochester Assistant City Administrator
Patti Gartland, Sartell City Administrator
Susan Arntz, Waconia City Administrator
(Senator Betsy Wergin served on the Task Force prior to Sen Steve Dille, but resigned due to her appointment to the Public Utilities Commission in early fall, 2008).
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.