The Commission was to have nine members, one from each congressional district, appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. The commissioners' terms were set at five years, and at least one of the members had to be a lawyer. The commission's chair was designated by the governor and the executive director was chosen by the commission. See agency notebook record for commission membership lists.
Commission chairs: Eugenie Anderson, 1955-1961; William Cratic, 1961-1965; Kennon V. Rothchild, 1965-1967.
Executive Directors: Wilfred C. Leland, 1955-1963; James C. McDonald, 1963-1965; Walter S. Warfield, 1965; Viola May Kanatz, 1965-1967.