Also known as:
Minnesota Department of Finance
Active dates:1973 - 2008
Function: 16A.055 COMMISSIONER'S DUTIES
Subdivision 1. List.(a) The commissioner shall:
(1) receive and record all money paid into the state treasury and safely keep it until lawfully paid out;
(2) manage the state's financial affairs;
(3) keep the state's general account books according to generally accepted government accounting principles;
(4) keep expenditure and revenue accounts according to generally accepted government accounting principles;
(5) develop, provide instructions for, prescribe, and manage a state uniform accounting system;
(6) provide to the state the expertise to ensure that all state funds are accounted for under generally accepted government accounting principles; and
(7) coordinate the development of, and maintain standards for, internal auditing in state agencies and, in cooperation with the commissioner of administration, report to the legislature and the governor by January 31 of odd-numbered years, on progress made.
(b) In addition to the duties in paragraph (a), the commissioner has the powers and duties given to the commissioner in chapter 43A.
In 1973 all the powers, duties, and responsibilities then vested in and imposed upon the state auditor were transferred to the department of finance.
A 2008 merger combined the former departments of Finance and Employee Relations and the Management Analysis Division from the Department of Administration.
Commissioner; term, 4 years or pleasure of governor; John Gunyou, 1991-1994; Wayne Simoneau 1996-
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.