Portions of the website are currently unavailable.
Legislature > LRL Home > Agencies > Results
Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Forest Resources Research Advisory Committee
Function: The purpose of the advisory committee is to foster the identification and undertaking of priority forest resources research activities by encouraging:
- collaboration between organizations with responsibilities for conducting forest resources research;
- linkages between researchers in different disciplines in conducting forest resources research; and
- interaction and communication between researchers and practitioners in the development and use of forest resources research.
The RAC actively supports forestry and forestry-related research projects. Additionally, the RAC also identifies priority forest research topics that should be studied in order to meet Minnesota's forest-related information needs.
Active dates:1995 -
The Research Advisory Committee (RAC) to the MFRC was formed under the Sustainable Forest Resources Act (SFRA) to address information needs concerning forests.
In 2008, the Minnesota Forest Resources Council requested that the RAC undertake an updated research assessment and prioritization of important forest resources related research needs in the state. The RAC reviewed the statutory charge and previous efforts and chose to engage a panel of forest resource scientists and administrators to create a framework for the assessment and inform the research needs prioritization process. (See 2011 Report linked to below for further information).
The Forest Resources Research Advisory Committee was reviewed by the Legislative Commission on Planning and Fiscal Policy (LCPFP) in 2013 as part of their biennial duty required by Minn. Stat. 3.885 Subd. 11. The LCPFP's 2013 Recommendations called for the keeping the committee.
The committee expires June 30, 2016.
The committee consists of representatives of:
(1) the College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, University of Minnesota;
(2) the Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota, Duluth;
(3) the Department of Natural Resources;
(4) the Northern Research Station, United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service; and
(5) other organizations as deemed appropriate by the council.
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.