Portions of the website are currently unavailable.
Legislature > LRL Home > Agencies > Results
Information on Minnesota State Agencies, Boards, Task Forces, and Commissions
Compiled by the Minnesota Legislative Reference Library
Also known as:
Minnesota State Forestry Board
Function: The care, management and preservation of the forest reserves, and the forests thereon, as well as future growths thereon, and all moneys appropriated in that behalf, or collected therefrom in any way, and all personal property acquired to carry out tlie object of this act, are hereby confided to and vested in said "Minnesota State Forestry Board."
The Minnesota State Forestry Board was created by legislative action in 1899 (Laws 1899 c214). It consisted of nine members: the chief fire warden of the state; the chairman of the horticultural department of the University of Minnesota; and seven citizens recommended by the regents of the university, the State Forestry Association, the State Agricultural Society, the Minnesota Horticultural Society, and the State Game and Fish Commission. The board appointed a secretary to be in charge of the books, who was to have maps made of all tracts of forest reserves. The state treasurer acted as the treasurer of the board. The board was put in charge of the care, management, and preservation of the forest reserves of the state, future growths, and all moneys appropriated or collected in that behalf. It was also responsible for ascertaining the best methods of reforesting cut-over lands, preventing forest fires, and conserving forest tracts around headwaters and watersheds.
In 1911 a new forestry law was passed and the composition of the board and its duties changed (Laws 1911 c125). The board's membership remained at nine, but its ex officio members were the director of the forestry school and the dean of the agricultural college of the University of Minnesota. The board also was put in charge of the state forest service and appointed a state forester who executed all the rules and regulations issued by the board pertaining to forestry and forest protection. The forester cooperated with the state auditor, the state Highway Commission, and other departments in matters of this nature. The board also established patrol districts under the 1911 law. The board was abolished by the Reorganization Act of 1925 and all of its powers and duties were transferred to the commissioner of forestry and fire prevention of the Conservation Commission (Laws 1925 c426).
Est. with nine members (1899).
At its meeting May 2, 1911, the Board appointed a State Forester, Mr. Wm. T. Cox, a native of Pope County, Minnesota.
Note: The Legislative Reference Library may have additional reports on or by this group available through our catalog.
Record last updated:
Additional print information on this group may be available in the
Library's collection of agency notebooks. Please contact a librarian for
assistance. The Minnesota Agencies database is a work in progress.