Legislature > LRL Home > Historical Information
View a variety of historical data about the Minnesota Legislature including session dates, party control, and lists of those who have served in leadership positions.
Includes lists of governors and other constitutional officers, gubernatorial addresses, veto information, state constitutional amendments proposed through the years, and more.
This unique resource created by the Legislative Library is a comprehensive database of everyone who has served in the Minnesota Legislature. The database includes biographical data, legislative district information, years served, committee membership, and more.
The Time Capsule provides a statistical and historical snapshot of each biennial session of the Minnesota Legislature.
An electronic repository of ephemeral materials—articles, memos, letters, etc. The digital files (2010-) continue subject-based files of print materials compiled by the library since 1969, the "Vertical File."
Historical Materials in Print
The Library's print collection provides valuable historical coverage and supplements the Library's digital lists and reports.
- Subject files with articles from metro and selected greater Minnesota newspapers, 1970 to 2009 (subject codes)
- Legislative district files, 1970-1999 in microfilm, 2000-2009 in file cabinets, and from 2009 to the present in the Library's electronic news archive
- Minnesota Personalities clipping files on former Minnesota legislators and selected prominent Minnesotans (List of personalities)
- Subject Notebooks on topics such as the budget crisis of 1981-1983, redistricting, the Minnesota Miracle, and more (list of titles)
- Governors Notebooks
- Election Notebooks
- Opinion polls, including the Minnesota Poll/StarTribune (1970 to present), St. Cloud Times Poll (1979 to present), St. Paul Pioneer Press Dispatch (1977 to present)
- State Agency Notebooks, 1970-present
For questions about the print collection, contact a librarian.